Thursday, January 5, 2012

Voting with Left Brains, Right Brains, and No Brains


(Originally written on November 2nd, 2010)

Today I voted in the U.S. midterm elections, attempting to raise my one small voice above the volume level of both right-wing and left-wing pundits that has become harsh and deafening in its relentless din. The sheer number of negative political television ads assaulting my eyes and ears by a wide variety of semi-anonymous coalitions (thanks a bunch, Supreme Court!) is staggering. Each side is convinced that their views are the only correct ones and, at least during this election cycle, talk of "reaching across the aisle" and cooperating together has been nonexistent. Can't we all just get along? Apparently not. "So-and-so hates puppies!" "What's-his-name supports terrorists!" "Vote for ME because I'm just like YOU!" Yeah, okay...

So what does this have to do with brains, as in the title of this entry? We hear a lot of talk about whether one is governed by a right-brained or left-brained personality. It would make for a nice and tidy theory to separate all of us into these two categories, but I don't think we humans are as simple to define as that. Despite the urge to define us as either conservative or liberal, for example, most people fall somewhere between these two extremes. Between black and white are many shades of grey.

I think of myself as being blessed (or cursed) with equally right-brained and left-brained traits. I don't mean that I fall into some specific shade of grey; it feels like there are two distinct sides of my personality and thinking processes. Fortunately, instead of having a split personality, I think both sides of my brain have no trouble working peacefully together (unlike the Democrats and Republicans).

On one side of my personality, I exhibit a “geek streak” that loves using logic to solve technological or logistical/organizational problems, and I’ve always kept up with the latest news of advancements in science and computers. Yet I also revel in the beautiful chaos of the natural world and the wonderful art and music that comes from some amazing and creative individuals. The musical and artistic endeavors in which I'm involved use improvisation and chance as an essential ingredient, but also have a distinct underlying technological --and logical-- order. One side keeps the other in check; neither side dominates. Our political system is supposed to function that way too, if anyone needs a reminder!

I think of myself as happily applying both sides of my brain every day. At first glance, there seem to be so few of us who inhabit both of those worlds, and experts prefer to put people into nice, neat, easily-defined categories.

I don’t think I’m alone though. Some of the most-creative people I know are computer programmers. These types of people excel when they think outside of the box. Creativity is often the common key to successful problem solving, even in the seemingly closed and analytical world of an accountant or IT professional.

We all possess both sides of our brains, but making the connections between each side is a more-essential trait than is usually mentioned. As I happily straddle both hemispheres, I have always been able to relate to how the “other side” thinks. Perhaps that’s why I served as the liaison between the PC Support techies and the magazine editors and designers at my job; I understood how each of their thought processes progressed. Despite their differences, they had to come together to work toward a common goal: getting that monthly magazine out the door. We don't live in an ideal world, so the solution is to embrace that grey zone, somewhere in the middle.

Of course, from watching the news on television, that conclusion would appear absurd to the political pundits. Too many people have closed themselves off from allowing their other side to be revealed --or even considered-- whether in politics or in life. There is far too much clinging passionately to one's opinion and too little actual analysis of facts. A lot of folks tend to equate belief with knowledge, and opinion with fact. No matter how strongly one believes something, that doesn't make it true.

Unfortunately, by proclaiming these beliefs over and over enough times, these opinions are perceived by some as truth, and once belief passes that threshold, it's very difficult to get people to change their minds, even if they is no logical or factual basis to their claims. As these false truths are further cemented in place through constant reinforcement by the makers and reporters of the news, public opinion is actually influenced and swayed. Trying to sway public perception using only the facts makes people defend their beliefs even more emphatically. It's an argument that can't be won, but it can be endlessly debated and analyzed on the evening news.

If people would only take a few minutes to educate themselves on the "actual facts" of the issues before them before voting, instead of relying only on a few unsubstantiated talking points (that they heard from somebody who heard it from somebody somewhere), then real change could start to happen. Until that day, I will do my patriotic duty and continue to cast my ballot in the feeble hope that the general population will someday become just a little bit more intelligent.

I hope I'll live to see that day, because right now I see few signs of America's intellectual rebirth coming to pass anytime soon. The sheer will of the ignorant masses is a force that can't be dismissed so easily. It is often both underestimated by, and masterfully manipulated to the advantage of, many politicians. The current volatile political climate makes for an exciting evening news broadcast, and many heated debates will revolve around it, but in the end, we the people --for better or worse-- decide the outcome. My hope on this election day is that each one of us uses that power wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment